5. Basilica’s/Monasteries

Basilica of Saint’Apollinare Nuovo

Constructed: 561 CE

Emperor: Justinian I

Use: Religious Building

This building was heavily influenced by Byzantine architecture and many of the mosaics were completed by Byzantine craftsmen. The plan of the church matches the original linear plan of an ancient Roman Basilica, with a long central nave flanked by two parallel halls. The Byzantine mosaics depict various scenes from the bible as well as notable landmarks throughout Ravenna.

Basilica of San Vitale

Constructed: 547 CE

Emperor: Justinian I

Use: Religious Building

The Basilica of San Vitale is a church built by the Byzantines in Ravenna. The Basilica of San Vitale is an example of a centrally planned church. The church, like a lot of other religious buildings on this list, is famous for its exquisite Byzantine mosaics. The mosaics in this church contain some of the greatest depictions of Emperor Justinian the Great and his wife Theodora. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Basilica Cistern

Constructed: 532 CE

Emperor: Justinian I

Use: Infrastructure

This cistern named the Basilica Cistern due to its proximity to an older basilica. This is an example of Byzantine infrastructure and urban planning. The enclosed space is truly massive, since it is able to hold 2,800,000 cubic feet of water. The cistern provided water to much of the city, including the emperor’s royal residence. Within the cistern, there are 336 marble columns, some of which are richly decorated with column capitals, medusa heads, and ornate carvings.

Basilica of Saint’Apollinare in Classe

Constructed: 549 CE

Emperor: Justinian I

Use: Religious Building

The Basilica of Saint’Apollinare in Classe was built by Justinian I in the area around Ravenna. It is very similar to the Saint’Apollinare Nuovo. The church is built in the Roman Basilica style with a linear construction, with the nave and aisles all pointing towards the altar. The most significant part of the basilica is the apse, which is lavishly decorated with Byzantine mosaics.

Our Lady of Saidnaya Monastery

Constructed: 547 CE

Emperor: Justinian I

Use: Religious Building

One of the most impressive examples of Byzantine architecture in Syria is The Our Lady of Saidnaya Monastery. The monastery was created during the rule of Justinian I. Throughout the middle ages, Our Lady of Saidnaya Monastery was an important pilgrimage site, visited by many on the road to Jerusalem. The main chapel has numerous icons and a wooden iconostasis in front of the altar.